Thursday, January 20, 2011

Soho, soho, it's off to shop we go!

After our 3 a.m. toast and jam party, we slept in rather late, despite our intentions to get an early start. Oh well, we're on holiday anyway - no deadlines, no schedules, no worries. However, we do want to make the most of our trip and see as much as we possibly can, so we got up and ready to go to...Soho.

Katie really spoiled me today. First, she made me some strong English tea with lots of sugar to wake me up. Then, she fixed my hair for me to have a Katie-do competition. I have to say, that girl can tease hair to HIGH HEAVEN! I looked like a Katie clone. We were officially ready to strut our stuff on the ritzy side of London.

We took the subway today, no more buses if we can help it. Our first stop was the Golden Union Fish Bar on Poland Street, for the traditional English dish of fish and chips. Google was right on with this restaurant pick. We ordered the haddock and chips, and it was plenty. It reminded me of the American version of a greasy cheeseburger and french fries, except they don't cut the fries in thin strips. We stuffed ourselves full and enjoyed lunch with gusto. Our waitress was very nice and even asked where we were from. She said Katie sounded like Britney Spears with her American accent (meaning it as a compliment, of course).

Now in a food coma, we headed off to see the rest of Soho's fashionable stores and Londoners. We didn't cover much ground, due to the greasy food taking it's toll. We went to the phone store and got a sim card to contact Jennifer. After that, we browsed inside a book store and bought a map of Paris. I tried to find a French dictionary, but there were none. I think we'll survive for now.

It was getting dark at this point, so we decided to head on back and see about dinner with the guys. We went to Byron's at Canary Wharf for the best burgers in London (according to Matt and Gary). However, due to the fullness of fish and chips, I ordered a side dish of mac and cheese. Once we had a less unhealthy meal, Katie and I got our second wind and were all excited to pack for the next journey.

We went to bed early, but couldn't really sleep. Switzerland was just around the corner...

No comments:

Post a Comment